Free time things to do
From MOLE's 2015 Free Day! (Advice thanks to Laura, our awesome course assistant!)
So you have a day off… but what to do?! Here is the local perspective of some fun things to do; take a look!
1. Explore Falmouth's Main Street (~4.5 miles away). Walk or take the trolley there. Shop, eat, get your nails done, or just walk around. For food, I recommend:
- Añejo- try the guacamole, they make it in front of you.
- Stone L’Oven- very good pizza! My personal favorite is the Fig and Prosciutto, yummmm.
- Pickle Jar Kitchen- great breakfast.
- The Glass Onion- fine dinning and pricey, but worth it.
- The French Bakery- arguably better than Pie in the Sky.
How to get there: WHOOSH Trolley
2. Stretch your legs on the Falmouth Bike Path.
- You can walk, run or bike 10 miles from Woods Hole to North Falmouth. Beautiful views of beaches and wildlife.
3. Explore the island of Martha’s Vineyard! Many cute shops and restaurants. You will need to take a ferry boat to get there. A few things that might be fun:
- The song "Flying Horses” by Dispatch was written about a carousel on Martha’s Vineyard. While you ride, there are two dispensaries outputting rings. If you happen to grab a brass ring, you get a free ride!
- The movie Jaws was filmed on Martha’s Vineyard. There is a bridge that connects the towns of Oaks Bluff and Edgartown, and is commonly referred to as “the Jaws Bridge.” A popular tourist/local activity is jumping off of this bridge into the water below.
- The best alcoholic Dirty Banana you will ever have! Go to Nancy’s restaurant, behind Nancy’s is a shack called “Donovan’s Reef”. The one and only Donovan will make you a delicious dirty banana, you won’t regret it.
How to get there: Woods Hole Ferry
5. Check out the sunset at The Knob. Beautiful spot to check out the sunset! It a 3 mile walk from the MBL but definitely worth it!
6. Walk/run to the Nobska Lighthouse. Beautiful lighthouse only 1.6 miles away from the MBL. There and back makes for a great morning run.
7. Get some food in Woods Hole. Recommended:
- Landfall- decent seafood, pricey drinks.
- Quicks Hole Taqueria- A local favorite.
- Phusion Grille- pricey, better for lunch when affordable.
- Fish Monger- I’ve heard they have good breakfast.
8. Woods Hole Science Aquarium. Open Tuesday-Saturday 11am-4pm. Admission is FREE! Seal feedings most days that they are open at 11am and 4pm.